Worms for Outer Space

Dear Regolith Community,

Some of our results using lixiviates to eventually use Regolith has outcome positive results. We were able to grow a chilli plant using a 50% lixiviate Regolith substance and 50% Agar. We are still writing the paper and polishing results - repeating experiments. This, however, has opened our eyes that the plant is eventually like a sensing system and conversations in our lab have evolved into using C.Elegans worms and understanding the effect with their interaction with Regolith. We know efforts have been published:
Turning earthworms into moonworms: Earthworms colonization of lunar regolith as a bioengineering approach supporting future crop growth in space: Heliyon
My educated believe is that the worms will prepare a future soil in space for plants to grow easier and therefore lowering the social and technological costs of efforts such as a lixiviate and just let the worms be. Cheaper as well? Constant iteration of worm technology could eventually create a space worm that is more resilient in the interaction with toxic metals?
Worms could really lower the entry cost for space research in terms of regolith interaction and experimentation (at our lab we have all the materials for micropropagation and the same tools can be used for worms) - we would like to listen the community feedback.
Attached a photo of our chilli plant.

@RegolithAWG @AnimalAWG

9 Likes

Are there any illustrations I can help with for the paper ? This is so exciting !

This is awesome. I would like to contribute in any way I can.

This method will truly be cost effective. But will they be able to survive in space? I mean, they would be needed to be genetically engineered according to space conditions.

This is particularly very interesting. I am interested in knowing more about it.

As a C. elegans biologist myself, I think that this idea is an interesting one. The natural ecological niches of C. elegans are also at the interface of decomposition of plant matter as well as other microbe-rich environments as consumers and propagators of microbes. I would be happy to chat more if you’re interested, too.